Workplace Safety and Health Management in Marine Industry (WSHMI)
Previously known as SHIPYARD SUPERVISORS SAFETY COURSE (SSSC)
The Workplace Safety and Health (Shipbuilding and Ship-Repairing) Regulations 2008 (Reg. 6(8) stipulates that: “It shall be the duty of every person not to oversee or supervise any work (including any process) in a shipyard or on board a ship in a harbor unless he has received adequate safety and health training to ensure that the work that he oversees or supervises can be carried out safely.
The SSSC is a mandatory training course for individuals who are to undertake the role of a supervisor in the marine industry.
Assumed Attitude, Skills and Knowledge / Entry Requirement
Employability Skills System (ESS) Workplace Literacy and Numeracy (WPLN) Level 4 and above, or equivalent.
- Identify the Workplace Safety and Health Act, subsidiary legislation and industrial code of practice relevant to the marine industry.
- List the roles and responsibilities of a shipyard supervisor.
- Conduct a safety briefing for shipyard workers and contractors.
- Coordinate the implementation of safe work procedures in the marine industry.
- Provide inputs for drawing up a risk assessment matrix.
- Formulate occupational health programme.
- Conduct investigation and prepare an incident report.
- An Overview of Workplace Safety and Health Legislation.
- General Safety in Shipyard.
- Confined Space Entry.
- Hot Works.
- Electrical Hazards.
- Surface Treatment.
- Material Handling.
- Working at Height.
- Risk Assessment.
- Occupational Health.
- Accident Investigation and Safety Inspection.
Course Duration: 32 hours including 3 hours of assessment
Medium of Instruction: English.
Class Size: Maximum 30
Facilitator/Learner Ratio: 1:30 for Lecture & Assessment
Course Attendance: 75% Attendance
2-hour written assessment and a 1-hour role play/case study assessment at the end of the course. The learner must pass BOTH assessments at 65% for each assessment in order to pass the assessment. Failure to pass either of the assessments shall render a “Fail” outcome for the learner and he must then re-attempt the course and assessments.
Funding & Claims:
1. Skill Future Credit / Funding Available
- Based on the successful completion of the course and assessment, a certificate of achievement endorsed by Eversafe Academy Pte. Ltd. will be awarded to the trainee.
- E-cert available
- 2 Kampong Kapor Rd, Little India, Singapore 208674
- 3 Soon Lee Street, #04-14/16&17, Pioneer Junction, Singapore-627606
- 2, Joo Koon Road, Singapore-628966